Friday, July 26, 2013

Smile

Sometimes, its as simple as that.  If you need to turn your mood around, or get yourself into a positive frame of mind, SMILE! 

Smile big.  Smile broad.  Feel your cheeks move.  Smile with your eyes.

The other day, I needed to turn my mood around.  I had let myself become frustrated by a project I was working on, so as I drove down the highway to my next meeting, I put a big, broad smile across my face.  At first, it felt a little strange, like conflict occurring between the frustration I had been feeling and the brain messages coming from the physical action I was taking.  As I continued to force the smile, the strange feeling diminished.  I felt less frustrated and instead, began to feel calm. The longer I smiled, the lighter my mood became.  The longer I smiled, the happier I felt.

Does this sound silly?  May be.  But try it.  It is easy to test this for yourself.  Close yourself into your office, your car, a bathroom, wherever you can be by yourself and just smile. 

Do it right now.  Make it a conscious action.  Smile for as long as you need.  You will thank yourself for it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment